Last updated: 7 September 2023
- the types of information we may collect;
- how we use the information we collect;
- how we may share the information we collect;
- the legal basis for using any personal information collected;
- how we protect and store the information we collect;
- third-party services and content;
- your choices and rights;
We may collect and receive information about you from various sources, including: (a) directly from you when you provide it to us, (b) indirectly from you when you browse this website, and (c) from third-party websites, services, and partners.
“Personal information” is any information that can be used to identify you or that I can link to you as an individual. We only collect your personal information when you provide it to us.
Information you provide to us directly
You can this website without providing any personal information. However, you may transmit personal information when you use our “Contact Me” form or click to share/connect on social media. If you contact us directly, we receive the personal information you entered, such as your name, email address and the contents of your message. We may also receive a confirmation when you open an email from us. If you share or connect with us via social media, we receive access to the personal information you have posted on the specific platform.
Information we may collect indirectly
We use browser cookies and similar tracking technologies (collectively, “Cookies”) to collect and store certain information when you use, access, or interact with our website.
Cookies are small files of information, usually stored on your application, computer or device, that allows our web servers or our third-party services to recognize you. We may store information that we collect through Cookies to record your preferences, settings and status and to analyze how you use our website. In some countries, including countries in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), the information referenced above in this paragraph may be considered personal information under applicable data protection laws. (More details below under the section entitled “Your Choices and Rights.”)
With Cookies, we may, for example, collect information about the type of device you use to access our website, the operating system and version, your IP address, your general geographic location as indicated by your IP address, your browser type, and data on your interaction with the website (such as search terms you enter or your frequency of usage, including your usage across different websites and applications). We may also collect data regarding the functionality of our website, including system-level metrics, to help us operate, maintain and improve the performance and utilization of the website. We also use this data to develop aggregate analysis and business intelligence that enable us to operate, protect, make informed decisions, and report on the performance of our business.
Information we may collect from third party sources
We may receive information about you from third parties that help us update, expand, and analyze our records, and to prevent or detect misuse. Please note that the information we may receive is governed by the privacy settings, policies, and/or procedures of the third party.
We may also collect information from social media platforms that share information about how you interact with our social media content. Further, we may also receive publicly-available information about you from our third-party partners and combine it with data that we have about you.
We use the information we collect in various ways, including to:
- provide, operate, and maintain our website;
- improve, personalize, and expand our website;
- understand and analyze how you use our website;
- develop new services, features, and functionality;
- communicate with you (either directly or through one of our partners) in order to provide updates and other information relating to the website;
- market or promote our services (including to maintain our list of contacts, or to assess the effectiveness of our events, promotional campaigns and publications);
- understand how people use our website, including by generating and analyzing statistics;
- support our business purposes, including data analysis; invoicing, detecting, preventing, and responding to actual or potential misuse, illegal activities, or intellectual property infringement; and
- comply and enforce applicable regulations and agreements or other legal rights, or as may be required by applicable laws and regulations or requested by any judicial process or governmental agency.
The above uses may involve information that has been aggregated so that the data is no longer capable of identifying an individual. This aggregated data may also be used by us to generate and commercialize insights.
We may share the personal information we collect with affiliates, employers and their staff. Our employees and contractors may be given access to any information which we collect. Our employees and contractors are required to keep this information confidential and are not permitted to use it for any purposes other than to enable you to use the website or to deal with requests that you submit to us.
Vendors and Service Providers. We may share information with third-party vendors and service providers that provide services on our behalf in order to allow them to assist us in (a) providing our website, (b) promoting and/or marketing our website or other services or products, and (c) providing you with information, such as announcements, updates, and special offers.
Third-Party Partners. We may share information about you with third-party partners in order to receive additional publicly-available information about you;
Business Transfers. Information may be disclosed and otherwise transferred to any potential acquirer, successor, or assignee as part of any proposed merger, acquisition, debt financing, sale of assets, or similar transaction, or in the event of insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership in which information is transferred to one or more third parties as one of our business assets;
With Your Consent. We may share information with your explicit consent;
Aggregate Information. As legally permissible, we may use and share information about users with our partners in aggregated or de-identified form that cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
Our legal basis for collecting and using personal information will depend on the personal information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it.
However, we normally collect and use your personal information only when doing so (a) is needed in order to perform our contractual or legal obligations to you; (b) is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your rights; or (c) is done with your consent. We have a legitimate interest in operating our website and communicating with you as necessary to provide services, for example when responding to your queries, improving our platform, undertaking marketing, or for the purposes of detecting or preventing illegal activities.
If we ask you to provide personal information to comply with a legal requirement or to perform our contractual obligations with you, we will make this clear at the relevant time and will advise you whether the provision of your personal information is mandatory, which includes the possible consequences of not providing your personal information.
You may withdraw any consent you have granted for use of your personal information by contacting us. When required by applicable law, we will rely on your consent for direct marketing and to collect information from your device or computer.
We deploy administrative, technical, and physical safeguards designed to comply with applicable legal requirements and safeguard the information that we collect.
However, no information system can be 100% secure, so we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your information. Moreover, information you transmit to us over networks that we do not control, including the Internet and wireless networks, may be compromised.
We may store certain information we collect in the U.S. (where our email provider is located) or in other countries where we or our service providers have facilities. We may transfer information to countries outside of your country of residence which may have data protection laws and regulations that differ from those in your country.
We retain personal information we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so (for example, to provide you with a service you have requested or to comply with applicable legal, tax, or accounting requirements).
We retain the information we collect for no longer than is reasonably necessary to fulfill the purposes for which we collect the information and to comply with our legal obligations.
We engage third parties that support the operation of our website, such as analytics providers. These third parties may use technologies to track your online activities over time and across different websites and online platforms.
You have choices and certain rights that can affect the collection and sharing of your information.
Choices that can affect the collection and sharing of your information include the following:
- You can browse our website without using the contact form and without interacting with our social media links, thereby limiting the type of information that we collect;
- If you receive promotional emails from us, you may unsubscribe from receiving such emails. If you wish to do so, simply follow the instructions found at the end of the email. Even if you unsubscribe to these types of emails, we may still contact you for informational, transactional, account-related, or similar purposes;
Subject to your applicable law, you may have certain rights regarding information that we have collected. We encourage you to contact us to update or correct your information if it changes, or if you believe that any information that we have collected about you is inaccurate or out of date. You can also ask us to see what personal information we hold about you, to erase your personal information and you may tell us if you object to our use of your personal information.
In some jurisdictions, you may have a right to complain to your local data protection authority. If you would like to discuss or exercise the rights you may have, you may contact us.
If you are a resident of the EEA, you have the following data protection rights, which you may exercise at any time by contacting us:
- You may access, correct, update, or request deletion of your personal information;
- You may object to the processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information, or request portability of your personal information;
- You have the right to opt-out of marketing communications we send you at any time. You can exercise this right by clicking on the “unsubscribe” or “opt-out” link in the marketing emails we send you, or by contacting us to to opt-out of other forms of marketing;
- If we have collected and processed your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing of personal information we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect the processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent;
- You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority.
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
Our website content is not targeted to children under the age of thirteen, and we will not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of thirteen. If you are under the age of thirteen, you must ask your parent or guardian for permission to use our website.
The data controller of your personal information is Eduard M. Sato.
If you would like to contact us please use our contact form. We welcome your enquiries and comments.